Union County residents, 18 years of age or older, may file an application and/or a renewal for a Notary Public Commission.
There are two ways to apply or renew you Notary Public Commission. You may apply online or via paper application.
Online Application Process
- The online application is available at https://www.njportal.com/DOR/Notary.
- The Fee is $30 ($25 application fee plus $5 convenience fee) payable via debit or credit card.
Paper Application Process
• A complete Notary Public application.
These files (PDF) were created using Adobe Acrobat and can only be viewed and printed with the Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- A signed endorsement from a state legislator in your legislative district on your application or renewal form. For a complete list of state legislators, please go to Election Officials on this website in the Election section.
- A check or money order for $25.00 payable to Secretary of State with a self addressed stamped envelope.
- Be advised that the paper application process will only be available for a limited time. Shortly, the State will accept applications for new Commissions or renewals exclusively online.
Oath of Office Administration
Once you receive your Notary Public Commission from Trenton you must visit our offices in either Elizabeth or Westfield within three months of the date listed on the Commission Certificate to be sworn in. There is a $15.00 processing fee payable to the Union County Clerk.
Legislation Governing Notaries Public
The legislation governing Notaries Public shall be found in New Jersey Statutes Annotated 52:7-11 et seq.
New legislation prohibiting notaries public from falsely representing themselves as attorneys in advertisements shall take effect December 2014. You may review the legislation by visiting http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/ and searching Bill Number A1423 / S2043.